Yesterday, the nominees for the Mercury Prize were announced. The bookies have spoken and odds have been laid on, with Arctic Monkeys “AM” and David Bowie’s “The Next Day” tipped as the favourites to win.
In case you missed the list, the nominated albums and their odds are:
- Arctic Monkeys – AM (4/1)
- David Bowie – The Next Day (4/1)
- Disclosure – Settle (7/1)
- Foals – Holy Fire (5/1)
- Jake Bugg – Jake Bugg (8/1)
- James Blake – Overgrown (7/1)
- Jon Hopkins – Immunity(10/1)
- Laura Marling – Once I Was An Eagle (5/1)
- Laura Mvula – Sing to the Moon (8/1)
- Rudimental – Home (8/1)
- Savages – Silence Yourself (10/1)
- Villagers – Awayland (10/1)
Aside from the number of monochrome album covers, it’s interesting to note the number of big, established acts this year, compared in particular to last year’s crop. We’re also glad to see our own Villagers get their second nomination with their album Awayland.
Obviously Bowie and Arctic Monkeys have been tipped as the favourites by bookies and pundits, but the name we’re really excited about this year is Laura Mvula. We’ve been following her for a while now and would love to see the Brummie siren pick up the prize.
You can have a listen to the nominees here and let us know who you’d like to see (hear?) win.